Top 100 Fastest Growing & Declining Categories in eCommerce
The eCommerce landscape has dramatically shifted as many states implement stay-at-home orders and “non-essential” businesses temporarily close to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.
Not only are consumers shopping online more, but their shopping behaviors have noticeably changed as well. While it’s clear consumers purchase an abundance of toilet paper, canned food and other household cleaning items during a pandemic, they’re also buying several more items for the home.
Stackline reviewed E-commerce sales across the U.S. and compiled a list of the Top 100 Gaining and Top 100 Declining categories in March. A few big takeaways:
- There is a surge in home fitness products including weight training equipment, fitness accessories and yoga equipment as gyms and workout studios are forced to close. Due to the increase in at home workouts, the gym bag category and many outdoor sport categories such as baseball & softball and track & field are in decline.
- Many companies have implemented a work-from-home policy, driving demand for computer monitors, keyboards & mice, and office chairs up as employees look to create a temporary home office.
- Most travel has been halted, causing declines in the luggage & suitcases, briefcase, and camera categories. Additionally,many spring break vacations were canceled, triggering a decline across sandal and swimwear categories.
- Formal apparel categories including Bridal and Men’s Suits are in decline as many couples are forced to cancel or delay their weddings.
- During this uncertain time, consumer shopping behavior has shifted to meet the needs of more time spent at home for the whole family.
Keep reading for the full list of categories: